Wednesday, July 30, 2008

RANDOM: George Lucas is god and other things...

In a recent article with the Times George Lucas talks about his past projects, his future goals, what he felt were the problems with Indy 4, and the fact that he's God. He doesn't exactly say that, opting for a "Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit" reference instead. Granted he's talking about the Star Wars Universe, but the crazy thing is that I can't really disagree with him. He's the "God" of that universe and that's totally cool cause it's his creation. I think it's just the people that view him as a literal god are taking it too far. For me, that's when fandom crosses over into the creepy.

Other than that I just found out about the new Joss Whedon series Dollhouse. I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and actually have a TV series idea way on the backburner that I think is pretty heavily influenced by the style of his work (Angel mostly). So when I heard that he had a new show coming out I was at first hyped, then I watched the trailer and that hype started to die down in me. And not just because I'd had a similar idea a while ago, but obviously not as flushed out.

The basic premise of Dollhouse is that there are agents that get inplanted with fake memories and sent out on missions. At the end of each mission those memories are wiped. So they're a sorta blank slate. My problem with the idea now as when I was ever thinking about writing something, is that you create a built in end point. If the whole desire of the series is to watch these characters learn and grow become more then where do you go when that happens? Do they keep doing the cool and entertaining things they did before? Because if so then was the whole buildup just a cocktease? If what's going on with their lives is negative and they overcome it only to keep doing what they were doing then why did it matter that they were forced to begin with. And if they don't keep doing what they were doing then what's the point of the show now? I know that's a bit close minded, especially considering I've only seen the trailer, but that was just my first gut reaction. I'll watch it and I hope it's an amazing series, but it just hasn't grabbed me yet and that's what I thought trailers are for.

Cheers,
Malcolm.

No comments: